Pages

Friday 8 February 2013

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW| Ones To Watch designer YEASHIN



YEASHIN is the creative brainchild of South Korean born and bred designer Yeashin Kim. A graduate of BA Womenswear from the London College of Fashion, she takes influences from her upbringing and combines them with the style of England in the 60's. Having won a number of accolades which include one of Vogue UK's Best Fashion Graduates of 2011 and WGSN's Most Creative Student Collection in their 2011 Global Fashion Awards, she's already made her mark on the industry. Here, we talk to the newly announced Fashion Scout One to Watch winner on her stand-out designs, inspirations and creative process ahead of her A/W13 showcase at Fashion Scout.

1) Your designs are so lively and colourful! What was it that inspired your AW13 collection?
My A/W13 collection's main concept is South Korea traditional furniture with David Hockney painting.

2) How much of your upbringing in Korea feeds into your work?
As well as being inspired by South Korea traditional furniture. this season I was also inspired by Korea traditional shoes and hats as well.

3) Why did you decide to base your brand in London? Does the city inspire you?
I think London fashion area is open to creative design. also this city have got so much inspiration for art. The very first time I visited London, the most interesting thing I found was just this city's mood.

4) When it comes to the new season, how do you begin your creative process
The most of important thing all my work process, is concept. So when I start a new collection, I search for a very long time to find a really interesting concept for my new idea and design.
5) What does being made Fashion Scout's One To Watch winner mean to you?
Fashion Scout has given me a good chance and experience by showcasing by collection in a show in London after graduating. I hope to learn lots of things about professional fashion show process through this experience. 

Interview by Joshua Walker, edited by Cass Gowing
Photographs from YEASHIN's S/S13 collection