Pages

Monday 18 February 2013

INTERVIEW| Kiev Fashion Days: Mariia Bekh






Mercedes Benz Kiev Fashion Days launches nine Ukrainian designers at Fashion Scout. We caught up with Maria Bekh who graduated from a masters degree in Fashion Design and Fashion Brand Management from Institutio Marangoni. BEKh aspires to create noble feminine expressions, with a mixed influence of bohemia and 1920s bourgeois. 

How would you describe your aesthetic for this season?

For AW13 my inspiration was the Russian Matryoshka doll. The feminine silhouette is something that I have featured in my designs. As well as the movement of opening up the doll, I wanted to recreate the 'twist and open' movement. I use a lot of lines inspired by the doll's wood carvings and most pieces are asymmetric so that the wearers movements create shape.

I also like my pieces to be wearable, I used all natural fabrics such as wools, silks and cottons I want them to be comfortable. For instance my 'Pillow clutch', my friend told me a story about how she always wanted to curl up and sleep in a club. So I created a bag that you can sleep on. The colours I used are also softer.

Since starting your label BEKh in 2010 what how have you developed as a designer?

I feel that as a young designer, the market is already saturated with many luxury designers as well as the mass market and it is hard to establish yourself. As in contemporary art you have to take a concept and develop it, my brand is more conceptual, I don't want it to be mass produced.

I think we are all searching for something unique. My designs are almost bespoke so the possibility of being dressed the same as someone else is almost impossible. Every piece is made by one person.

How do you feel about exhibiting at Kiev Fashion Days at Fashion Scout?

It is a great opportunity as it allows you to be heard. I think it is really difficult for a young designer to get out of the atelier and talk about what they are doing. It gives international designers a chance to show themselves and their work, that they would not otherwise have. 

Words by Darcie Thompson-Fields (@DarcieTF)
Images by Siobhan Kerrigan