Pages

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Interview with Merit Award Winner Eudon Choi

Man of the Moment Eudon Choi after his 
Ones To Watch Debut Last Season




We were so excited that the uber talented Eudon Choi had been chosen as this season's Merit Award winner, we just had to find out a bit more about him. Kenny Wang tracked him down for a quick chat.


KW: So, how are you feeling after winning the Merit Award from Vauxhall Fashion Scout?
EC: Last year I was one of Vauxhall Fashion Scout's Ones To Watch designers, which was a great endorsement for my first fall collection and also great in terms of media exposure. To build on that this year with the Merit Award is amazing, and to have the support of Vauxhall Fashion Scout to do a solo show during LFW is a dream come true.


KW: What did you do to celebrate?
EC: I was in Korea on a short trip when I first heard the news. I rang up my friends and we all went out and drank lots of champagne!


KW: What industry experience did you gain before creating your own label?
EC: I was a menswear designer in Korea before my MA in womenswear at the Royal College of Art. After graduating from the RCA I worked as a senior designer at both All Saints and Twenty8Twelve.


KW: Which designer inspires you the most?
EC: Yves Saint Laurent. He made masculine tailoring a womenswear classic and reinvented the tuxedo over and over again. I went to a YSL exhibition in Paris earlier this year and it was utterly amazing. I was overwhelmed by his haute couture looks and the way the show was curated was just immaculate.  It is on until 29th August 2010, so check it out before it finishes!


KW: If you weren't a fashion designer, what would you do?
EC: People say I have a very keen eye when it comes to interiors, which probably comes from the attention to detail that typifies my approach to fashion design. If I wasn’t working in fashion I could see myself designing wonderful hotels and restaurants like Martin Brudnizki or David Rockwell.


KW: If you could collaborate with anyone, who would it be?
EC: I love Jas. M.B. bags! Jas. M.B. actually helped me on one of my pieces for AW2010, which was a leather bag integrated into a coat as a big pocket. It was probably my favourite piece from this collection and I would love to collaborate with him to create some gorgeous leather bags or perhaps a capsule collection of leather jackets and coats.


KW: Where would you like to see your brand in the future?
EC: I would like to grow my brand carefully and secure key primary stockists in the major European capitals. London is my home now, so I also want to focus on developing a strong UK presence.


Kenny Wang