Pages

Saturday 18 September 2010

One Day Designer Exhibition : Yorkshire Pearl








Robert Malcolm Clayton a.k.a BBert is the creator of bespoke jewellery brand Yorkshire Pearl. The fledgling brand, which has only been around for 6 months, is already gathering a legion of fashion conscious accessories lovers in London and his striking bracelets have been spotted all over VFS. I grabbed a quick chat with him during his presentation to ask him a few questions.

How did you get into jewellery design?
Almost by mistake actually, I started up the brand only 6 months ago. Accessories are  a part of what I do as I’m also a fashion designer, but Yorkshire Pearl first started when I was making pieces for people I know.

How do you source all of the material to make a Yorkshire Pearl bracelet like the ones you are showing today?
I’m a real collector, and spend a lot of time wandering around vintage fairs, antique shops, auctions and gathering nik naks from markets. Over the years I’ve found some really good places to source unusual things to make the pieces really stand out. Almost all of the bits you see here have been recycled or repurposed.

What’s the creative process behind making sculptural bracelets like the pieces you are showing today?
Well I make everything myself, to start with. I’m way too much of a perfectionist to let anyone else make my pieces! I have tried but I like to have control of the way they out, depending on the items I’ve sourced.

Do you work from drawings, or something more conceptual depending on what you have found?
Yeah I group things together by sight, working with a selection of different bits until I’m happy. Then I hand sew everything myself.

Do you have a favourite piece?
That’s a hard one. I’ve given one of my favourites away today, so I cant show you it. Otherwise, I really love this bracelet (see Vic’s illustration). It’s a mixture of freshwater pearls, hand-painted enamel and antique beads.



Words and photography by Alex Fynn O'neil 
Illustrations by KELLYANNA and Vic Riches