Pages

Friday 12 August 2011

Introducing Ones To Watch winner Shao Yen










Good Morning fashion scouters!

After yesterday hype with the announcement of The Body Shop coming on board as official Make-Up sponsor for next September London Fashion Week, Vauxhall Fashion Scout wants to keep introducing to its Ones To Watch SS12 winners.

After introducing Phoebe English and Malene Oddershede Bach, we’re continuing our Ones To Watch introductions with Shao Yen!

Central Saint Martins graduate Shao Yen Chen is a visionary who has previously used a pale palette versus intricately created shapes. His all white MA womenswear collection stuck a cord with those in the fashion industry by pushing the boundaries of the catwalk norms. Shao has also created a number of beautifully produced fashion films. He has also been named as one Selfridge’s of “Bright Young Things”.

How do you feel about winning Ones To Watch?
I was really excited. It's a great opportunity to show my work on the runway for the first time after I graduated. But I'm also under a lot of pressure to present my best.

How are you celebrating?
I haven't had time to celebrate yet. I've been busy working. I will be celebrating if the show goes well.

Did you always want a career in fashion? When did you decide this was your field?
Not really. I only got into fashion when I was in high school. I decided to give it a try and applied for St Martins.

How do you get into the design mood.
I don't really have any special trick or ritual to get into the design mood. The ideas can come at any time.

What time of day do you get the most inspired?
At night, when it is quiet. 

If you weren't a fashion designer, what would you do?
I would probably want to become a film director.

Where are your favourite spots in London?
Barbican Centre, Victoria Miro Gallery, Greenwich Market.

If you could live in any decade which one would it be?
The 1970s.

Where would you like to see your brand in the future?
I would like to have a solo catwalk show in the coming year and have stockists in major fashion cities in the near future.

Now one month to go... how are you feeling towards September?
I am feeling nervous but also very much looking forward to it. I can't wait for it to be finished. 

Tell us a bit about your SS12 collection.
My SS12 collection is inspired by 80s and 90s streetwear, tribal, punk and bondage elements.

Really nice to meet you Shao, we look forward to see your show at Vauxhall Fashion Scout Ones To Watch´s catwalk during September Fashion Week. 

The excitement is increasing as closer we get to September....