Pages

Friday 13 August 2010

Interview with Ones To Watch Winner - LiLee

Earlier today, Vauxhall Fashion Scout's Kenny Wang caught up with Ones To Watch winner LiLee...

How do you feel about winning a place in the Ones to Watch showcase at Vauxhall Fashion Scout?

It was unexpected and amazing! I was so happy to be chosen and excited to be able to show my collection though this amazing opportunity!

What did you do to celebrate?

I really wanted to shout out when I heard that I had won the Ones to Watch but I was in a gallery with my family. We then had a special dinner in Hakasan in London.

Were you interested in fashion when you were growing up?


My talent and passion for fashion came from my mom. She sometimes made clothes for my doll. I remember I had an obsession about filling my doll’s closet. Whenever I had some money I always ran to the toyshop and bought my doll some garments.


What was your experience in the fashion industry before forming your own label?


I worked as a fashion designer in a big company in Korea. It was really fun and developed my colour and fabric planning skills.


Who is your favorite designer and why?


Jean Paul Gautier. He’s the master of fashion. His technical skills are perfect. I love many great fashion designers in a big couture houses such as Phoebe Philo, John Galliano and Ricardo Tisci, but Jean Paul Gautier’s couture collection is absolutely superb.


If you were not a fashion designer, what would you do?


I would still want to be in a creative job. A chef or interior designer or professional house wife..?


What music do you listen to when you are designing?



It depends on the theme of the collection. I like Carla Bruni, and sometimes I listen to Karl Lagerfeld's compilation album, “les musiques que j'amime." I can easily imagine a model on the catwalk wearing a dress from my sketchbook with that music.


Where would you like to see your brand in a few years?


I will show my collection steadily for five years and try to show something my development each season. After 5 years, I hope the business becomes bigger and I can continue my design development.


Have you been to any of our Mentoring Events? What are your thoughts of the sessions? Has it helped?



Martyn from Vauxhall Fashion Scout gave me essential advice that young designers have to know. I am looking forward to the new series of mentoring events. 


Are you looking forward to your show at London Fashion Week?

Absolutely, I am so excited!

It has been my dream for a long time and I am looking forward to showing the “good things” of Lilee through this show!




Kenny Wang