Pages

Thursday 14 August 2014

SS15 PREVIEW| NATALIEBCOLEMAN



A graduate of the Limerick School of Art & Design, Central St Martins and having gained experience in places among the likes of New York and Iceland, Natalie Coleman's design background is certainly impressive. Showing her SS15 collection with us this season, Coleman has already been featured in the likes of Harpers Bazaar, Company and Marie Claire. In an introduction to the designer previews that will feature on the Fashion Scout blog over the coming weeks, she gives us a preview of what we can expect to see in September.

Fashion Scout: How would you describe the NATALIEBCOLEMAN aesthetic?

Natalie Coleman: Feminine, romantic, flirtatious, fun. Full of gorgeous prints and beautiful fabrics. When I'm asked in interviews who the NATALIEBCOLEMAN customer is, my answer is simple and always the same. She is the coolest girl in the room.

FS: You’ve interned for a number of labels in a number of amazing places. How do these places you’ve visited and where you’ve worked inspire your work?

NC: New York is always one of my favourite places to go and the label is just launching there this season so I love having more excuses to trip over. Working for ThreeAsFour was hectic but so much fun, they had a massive glitter ball and shared my love of Dolly so all good! Iceland was beautiful, so quiet and stunning. I spent so much time in the evenings developing print ides and sketching as it was light almost 24 hours a days! 


FS: What, without giving too much away, can we expect to see from you for SS15?

NC: ‘Be Still My Bleeding Heart’ is dedicated to my Mother, Bridie, as this year is her 20th Anniversary. One of my main inspirations came from the Sacred Heart and from this I painted a rose with black ink lines falling from it. This then developed the drawings into prints that feel fragile, feminine and evocative but playful too. The SS15 collection is beautiful, romantic and light, made with luxurious printed and textured fabrics and amazingly detailed finish. I wanted a collection full of pieces that my customers can put on and feel instantly good in, knowing that she looks cool, effortless and elegant. 

FS: Are there any particular themes or ideas that you carry across all of your seasons?

NC: I always have a strong narrative. Each collection is like a diary page for me so I get a lot of inspiration from mine and my friends love affairs which helps bring a quirky light edge to the collection. We are obsessed with the best quality, cut, drape and finish and we generally develop our story with print each season. 


FS: What do you believe are the key elements that combine to create a quality, standout collection? 

NC: I think it has to come from a place of truth, something that is unique and fresh to the label. 

FS: You’ve sent through some illustrations and mood boards. How important are these to your creation process?

NC: I always start with writing my story and then developing print ideas and shapes - so super important.

FS: How do you feel to be showcasing with Fashion Scout this season, in the city of London? 

NC: We are very excited and feel it is a perfect time and space to show NATALIEBCOLEMAN.

Interview by Josh Walker, Editor, (@josh_walker_).
Images, courtesy of Natalie Coleman.