Pages

Monday 1 October 2012

POSTCARD FROM PARIS| Shao Yen






Tawaiinese born yet London based designer Shao Yen returned to showcase his Spring/Summer 2013 collection exclusively with Vauxhall Fashion Scout at our Paris Showrooms. His sixth collection returns to some of the forms used in his masters collection whilst retaining the usage of mixed materials which his collections are recognised for. We caught up with Shao Yen Chen on the penultimate day of showcasing his S/S13 collection.

1. What has been the initial response been to your S/S 13 collection?
I chose to use quite strong and bright colour this season so that's what caught people's attention first as well as the interesting mixture of textures.

2. Is there a favourite piece/ look form the collection/ a look that you feel encapsulates your aesthetic?
The raffia sweatshirt top and pencil skirt reminds me of my MA collection. The look is much more wearable but the combination of fabrics is still interesting and playful.

3. What is the importance of showcasing your collection in Paris?
I aim to develop my brand and expand more stockists. It's a good opportunity to for me to meet buyers and press people as well as receiving feedback.

4. As a platform, what support has VFS provided you with this season that you are most grateful for?
VFS has always been very supportive and understands what young designers need. I really like the space this season.

5. What will you be doing in Paris, outside of VFS showroom-making the most of the surrounding city, or taking much deserved respite from the pace of recent weeks?
I don't have much opportunity to go out since I need to be in the showroom all day but I do enjoy walking from my flat to the showroom and looking at the people and shop windows along the way.

By Cass Gowing, Editor
Images taken from Fashion 156 Creative's Preview Shoot and Shao Yen's S/S13 lookbook