Pages

Sunday 16 February 2014

BACKSTAGE| Vita Gottlieb AW14





Freemasons' Hall welcomes Vita Gottlieb today for her first season with Fashion Scout. The born and bred Londoner set up her imaginative label in 2012, and has since been presenting her innovate aesthetic of graphic prints and fluid silhouettes since. A self confessed lover of fusions, Vita usually grasps an audience with her juxtapositions and narratives.

The Central Saint Martins graduate has directed The Body Shop make-up artists to create a really fresh look. Each model has beautiful clear skin and groomed eyebrows. The eyes have a black lining combined with a red orange lip. Gottlieb evidently wants all eyes on the clothes as there is a very minimal and focused look given to the models today.

The rows of clothing in rich jewel tones and sinuous skirts give the impression this show will be a mellow display of peace and tranquility. However, her ever-present juxtapositions are in full flow this season with bondage-esque cage and sheer vests.

Gottlieb's work did not fail to impress when she presented as a finalist for the SS13 Fashion Fringe. We spoke to Vita before the show to see how she’s feeling now she’s showing solo for the first time.

Hi Vita, how does it feel to be showcasing your first collection at Fashion Scout?
I’m excited! I’m really calm actually; we’re just doing all the fittings now and seeing how the looks are going to work and the order. But I’m okay, I’m excited.

How do you feel you’ve progressed since Fashion Fringe?
I think I’ve progressed a lot. I’ve really streamlined my work now and worked on my aesthetic. I’ve edited a lot- I think before there was too much multi layered. I’ve learnt a lot about editing.

So, we know that this collection is inspired from another narrative that you have created yourself. Could you explain this season’s inspiration to us?
This season it’s all about Grace Jones walking through Mahajara’s Palace. It’s about flight and being set free. I always like to focus on an imaginary setting and what the character within it is doing.

Well, good luck to Vita! It’s set to be a great show.

By Emily Black (@Emilyy_Black)
Images by Jamike Latif (@JamikeLatif), taken on the fashion forward LumixGM1 (@PanasonicUK).