Pages

Monday 16 September 2013

INTERVIEW| Little Shilpa SS14






As she prepares for her first ever Fashion Scout showcase, the minute Mumbai-born artist come fashion designer spoke to Fashion Scout about ‘Grey Matters’.

You’re SS14 collection is entitled ‘Grey Matters’. What exactly does that mean?
For this collection I’m showing my accessories but also adaptions of Indian Saris that are made out of Indian fabrics but also tartan. It’s a question of do I go traditional or go with the times? It’s a grey matter.

Are there any other ways you’re incorporating that theme?
For the presentation I’m having a backdrop of Jeremy Gibbs’ photography. He published a book of his work called ‘Beauty is decay’- the pictures are of abandoned hospitals and decaying areas. You look at it and think; is it sad? Is it beautiful? That’s what grey matters is. It’s interpretational; it’s down to each person.

How do you feel about showcasing at Fashion Scout today?
I love Fashion Scout. I’m really excited. I’ve wanted to show at Fashion Scout for years now because I love it. I feel it’s the perfect platform for a designer like me who is up-and-coming.

Little Shilpa’s fan base includes the likes of Lady Gaga and Stephen Jones so it’s no doubt that she will amaze today at Freemasons’ Hall. 

by Emily Black, @emilyy_black
Photography by Tram Nguyen, @TramNguyenp
Follow us on Twitter, @FashionScout, #FashionScout